Hi! I'm Holly Brimhall, a newborn photographer in Gilbert, AZ. I am the mother of 4 and a lover of ALL things baby. This blog is where I share the life of my family and favorite pictures of my newborn photography sessions.

Sunday, April 05, 2020

The Spirit of God

It's been a strange few weeks. Our family was in Paris the day we found out the United States would be closing borders due to the Coronavirus Covid-19 pandemic. At some point, I'm sure I'll write about our spring break trip to Europe...and the amazing things we got to see and do...and the feelings of panic as we desperately tried to get our family safely home...but that will have to be another time. I want to take some time to share the feelings of my heart...as I feel like my heart could burst right out of my chest.
This weekend was our church's semi-annual general conference. We've listened to 4 of the 5 sessions so far. In a world full of uncertainty, fear, and doubt...my soul has just been filled with love and light and hope. We got to participate in the Hosanna Shout, a ritual typically reserved for temple dedications. Hearing yesterday that we would be participating in the Hosanna shout today, I wanted to do a bit more research so I could share my thoughts with the kids.
"For many Latter-Day Saints, the most commonly talked about origin of the Hosanna Shout is from Christ's triumphant entry into Jerusalem, when the people greeted Him with shouts of hosanna and waved palm branches and acknowledged him as the Messiah." As I read that to them this morning, I had to swallow the lump in my throat as I thought back to my years participating in the Easter Pageant for 3 years as a teen. My time in the Easter Pageant is a treasure and has strengthened my testimony beyond measure.
"The word hosanna comes from two Hebrew words which, roughly translated, mean 'please save us.' And though the phrase was at first used as a prayer or plea, it eventually came to be associated with praise and joy and is used that way today."
At this general conference we were celebrating 200 years since Joseph Smith's first vision. A new proclamation to the world was presented today. We followed with the Hosanna Shout, listened to the Tabernacle Choir sing the "Hosanna Anthem" (pre-recorded and played back from the conference center dedication in October 2000), and joined them in singing "The Spirit of God". I felt the Spirit as strong as I've ever felt it...and tears streamed down my cheeks.
For me participating in the Hosanna Shout...I felt joy in the celebration of the bi-centennial of the First Vision and the desperate and hopeful plea to our Father in Heaven to "please save us."

The Spirit of God like a fire is burning!
The latter-day glory begins to come forth;
The visions and blessings of old are returning,
And angels are coming to visit the earth.
We'll sing and we'll shout with the armies of heaven,
Hosanna, hosanna to God and the Lamb!
Let glory to them in the highest be given,
Henceforth and forever, Amen and amen!


The Lord is extending the Saints' understanding,
Restoring their judges and all as at first.
The knowledge and power of God are expanding;
The veil o'er the earth is beginning to burst.

We'll sing and we'll shout with the armies of heaven,
Hosanna, hosanna to God and the Lamb!
Let glory to them in the highest be given,
Henceforth and forever, Amen and amen!


I know God lives. I know He loves me. I know He hears my prayers. I'm grateful for a living prophet on the earth who leads and guides us. I'm grateful for a Savior who sacrificed his life for me and my sins. I want to be better at shining my light, sharing my faith, and showing my love!

0 comments:

Blog Patrol

About This Blog

Arizona newborn photographer, phoenix area newborn photographer, phoenix newborn photographer, mesa newborn photographer, queen creek newborn photographer, gilbert newborn photographer, custom newborn photographer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP