Hi! I'm Holly Brimhall, a newborn photographer in Gilbert, AZ. I am the mother of 4 and a lover of ALL things baby. This blog is where I share the life of my family and favorite pictures of my newborn photography sessions.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

For StubbsFamily.....


Here is the PEPPERNUT recipe - that you asked for. All ya'll....stay tuned for more info - because I've been sewing - and I'm kinda in the mood for another fun giveaway. Big smiles. I LOVE to give things away!


Peppernuts....
mmm...yum! Peppernuts just make me happy. They flood my mind with happy memories of baking with my mom and grandma and watching Christmas movies with my family snuggled up on the couch. The ONLY time that we were allowed to eat peppernuts was when we were together as a family - watching Christmas specials like Rudolph and Frosty and Miracle On 34th Street.

Peppernuts:
Mix the following together in a heavy-duty mixer (ie Kitchenaid or Bosch)
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 lb. butter (softened a lot!)
1/2 Tbsp lard (I never put this in - seriously, I don't need any more lard in my diet - even if it is just a small amount - ha!)
1 lb. Dark Karo syrup
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Then sift the following spices with a cup of flour:
3/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp anise (if using the liquid add it to the sugar and butter mixture)
1/4 tsp cardamon
1/8 tsp pepper
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
Then just keep adding flour until mixture is like bread dough (last time I used about 8 cups of flour total). Roll into sausage-link-like-rolls, but long enough to fill a 9x13 pan. Put wax paper under and between each layer. Refrigerate several hours. Slice into little slices and place on well-greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-13 minutes or until lightly browned.

Rolls of peppernut dough (I make mine bigger than my mom and sisters, I'm NOT as patient as them - ha!)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Yesterday, my Dad sat and sliced a WHOLE batch for me, while Little Miss and my mom and I kept busy loading the pans up, putting full pans in and out of the oven, greasing pans, etc. Now THAT is love! I have the bestest DAD ever!!!
Photobucket
Watching the peppernuts bake...waiting...waiting...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Then Little Miss decided to get silly...a give Grandpa a hat!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Silly girl!
Once a pan of peppernuts is done cooking, we take them off of the pan (with a spatula) and let them cool on a towel...
Photobucket
ENJOY!!!

8 comments:

StubbsFamily 3:00 PM  

Thanks so much

Michelle 5:29 PM  

Thanks for posting...I was hoping maybe you could repost your Be- Utiful fabric pumpkin tutorial!

Thanks!
Michelle

The Dillon's 6:26 PM  

Hey lady. Just looked at your blog for the first time in a long, long time! So good to see your sweet family. Boy, do I miss your mom and dad. Please give them our best. Thanks. Marty Dillon

Tressa 4:15 PM  

Hmmm, I'm already fall trunky (is that a term??). LOL Posting about peppernuts sure doesn't help! :) I am sooo ready to get my house all ready for fall and halloween. But, I think it is too early. What do you think? :)

Yarni Gras! 8:49 AM  

I make these too and give them away by the tinful! My family adores them.

The Dutch Girl 2:58 AM  

I blog hopped along the pumpkin tutorial trail and found the recipe for peppernuts! I am Dutch, as are peppernuts, but it never occurred to me to make them myself. Thank you for posting this recipe!

And I love your pumpkins by the way. As soon as I finish my burlap curtain project, I'll know just what to do with the leftover fabric...

Granni P 10:53 AM  

You don't know me. I found you through a good friend's blog but I enjoyed getting to know you through yours. Just wanted to say thanks for helping remember the good old days. I used to make these peppernuts with my little children so long ago. We called them pepper-corns and put anise seed in them. We would make them in late summer or early fall and let them mellow until the holidays. Then we would decorate jars of them to give to our friends. Thanks for your post.

Unknown 10:49 PM  

I've never heard of peppernuts before. They sound delicious, though! I'll have to try your recipe with my girls sometime. Thanks for sharing it. :)

Blog Patrol

About This Blog

Arizona newborn photographer, phoenix area newborn photographer, phoenix newborn photographer, mesa newborn photographer, queen creek newborn photographer, gilbert newborn photographer, custom newborn photographer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP