Hi! I'm Holly Brimhall, a newborn photographer in Gilbert, AZ. I am the mother of 4 and a lover of ALL things baby. This blog is where I share the life of my family and favorite pictures of my newborn photography sessions.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pagosa Springs, Part I....


Brett and I have been wanting to take our kids to Pagosa Springs, CO for a REALLY long time.

Years ago, Brett's parents had bought a bunch of land up there - a few different pieces of property - and decided to build a cabin on one of them. The cabin would be built inside a gated neighborhood, each property allowing one cabin per 35 acres. They would often make trips up there and come home with memory cards full of pictures to show us. Pictures of the property, pictures of the view of the valley below, pictures of the progress of the cabin along with explanations of what it would look like when it was finished. We ooohed and ahhhhed right along with them, while Brett's mom dreamed of spending summers there with kids and grandkids. 3.5 years ago the cabin was finally completed and even though Brett's mom was really sick (battling cancer that had spread in her body), his parents went to spend a few weeks there together. In fact, they were on their way home from Pagosa Springs, when I was in my rollover. Three weeks after my accident, Brett's mom passed away. Our hearts were broken.

This summer we decided it was time to go to Pagosa. To see the cabin and spend time there together. At the back of my mind, I knew it would bring up a lot of emotions for me to be there, but I just wasn't prepared for JUST how emotional I would be. Seeing my mother-in-laws influence everywhere - in the decorations and finishings - brought up a sea of emotions and memories for me. Everything was just so HER.

As I sat on the wrap-around porch, with the familiar view of the valley I'd seen in so many pictures...


Photobucket
enjoying the cool breeze on my face, listening to Brett and the children talking and laughing, looking for animals through the binoculars, I felt her there...and it felt like home.

We talked to the kids about finding some time to be alone and to just think about Grandma and how much she loved each one of them. Brett's mom LOVED, no she ADORED her grandchildren!

We got to spend one day there with just our little family before the rest of my family joined us for a family reunion. We were so grateful to my father-in-law for letting my family rent out the cabin for our Stapley Family Reunion.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The youngest two, Little Miss and Chubbers, wanted to go horseback riding...
Photobucket

Photobucket

I felt a little pit in my stomach start to grow as I watched him ride away. Where has MY baby gone? When did he get SO big? Why did he think he was old enough to just ride away and leave me standing there? Standing there with that pit growing bigger and bigger.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We stopped at a little art show, watched some sharp shooters, admired local artists handiwork, and were a little in awe at this leather-makers doggy-carrier? Ha ha! Chubs was super confused as to why a dog was being carried around like that...
Photobucket
Don't you like Little Miss's pants? I think I made her 5 pairs...all out of different fabrics :)

We went out to eat at Chato's... Nan is holding a flower that a nice man at the art show had made for her. She's a charmer with her bright blue eyes and long, black lashes.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

So maybe my baby isn't ALL grown up...letting Bear hold him like a baby and feed him chips :)
Photobucket

These beautiful wood carvings were EVERYWHERE in the restaurant. Amazing!
Photobucket

These anatomically correct bulls were EVERYWHERE throughout the restaurant. Ack! Not so amazing!
Photobucket

As the cousins started to arrive, we took a few with us down to the "neighborhood's" private lake to catch some fish. The kids thought it was so awesome that almost every time they threw their hook in, they would catch a fish.
Photobucket

Chubbers wanting to stay on the shore with me...
Photobucket

The next day we went back to the lake with everyone.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Moose and I were in heaven with the babies everywhere. There was always a baby willing to get some smooshy cheek kisses.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Little Miss was in HEAVEN with a grandma to spoil her with hugs and snuggles...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thank heavens for a mom who loves playing with her grandkids! They sure do love her!
Photobucket

Much more to come....

4 comments:

Kelli 10:15 AM  

GORGEOUS! If you ever get a chance to take another trip to Colorado, Estes Park is a must stop! :)

ellen 10:17 AM  

That place is a slice of heaven!

I'm confused about that dog too...Chubs isn't the only one. :)

Tressa 8:56 PM  

It was SOOO much fun! So, when is the next Stapley Family Reunion??

Kristal 10:34 AM  

looks perfect! That doggie carrier is...uh, crazy. and I LOVE making little girl ruffle pants. I got the pattern an dmade the boys one pair (w/o ruffles) and keep making her new ones as I find the fabric. haha. Peopel up here make fun of them though....call them hippie pants . boo! oh, and I LOVE that your kids baby G. We hold Boston like a baby sometimes and he's not even our baby. haha.

Blog Patrol

About This Blog

Arizona newborn photographer, phoenix area newborn photographer, phoenix newborn photographer, mesa newborn photographer, queen creek newborn photographer, gilbert newborn photographer, custom newborn photographer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP