Hi! I'm Holly Brimhall, a newborn photographer in Gilbert, AZ. I am the mother of 4 and a lover of ALL things baby. This blog is where I share the life of my family and favorite pictures of my newborn photography sessions.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Reminiscing about our Fall Break today....


while enjoying a day with the kids during Christmas break. Just looking at the pictures, kind of makes me want to run back to Cali. Man, we had a great time!

Originally we had planned on sticking around for fall break, but last minute decided to try to find a deal on a place on the beach. Plus we had plenty of buy one admission get one free coupons to Legoland, so we decided, "What the heck? Why not?" I found an awesome condo in Carlsbad just steps from the beach. It had it's own two car garage with boogie boards, sand toys, beach chairs, etc, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and a beautiful kitchen with nice sized family room. We scored an amazing deal at less than half the normal fee! Let's just say a tiny hotel room would have cost more. Sweet!

Since it was so last minute, Brett was still scheduled to work. So, I packed up the kids and headed on over on Wednesday, October 12th. As soon as we arrived, the kids helped me unpack the van as fast as they could, we changed into our swimsuits and headed right across the street to squish our toes into the warm sand. The kids could not wait to get in the ocean!

Savannah is our shell collector. She wondered why the shells weren't as pretty in Cali. We are used to the less picked over beaches of Mexico!
Photobucket

Grant could not wait to jump in! Watching the joy on his face....made my day then...and made my day again today as I looked at the pictures for the first time since our trip!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

When everybody else was done for the day, Jarom just could NOT pull himself out of the ocean. He'd ride the boogie board in, whoopin' and hollerin', and then run right back out to catch another wave.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Right before the sun was about to set, I let him take one last ride. We snapped a quick picture before heading back to the condo. Bryson was upset that "he had almost gotten killed by a wave".
Photobucket

We spent the next morning being a little lazy and then headed into San Diego to walk around old town. We ate some authentic Mexican food and toured the newly renovated San Diego Mormon Battalion Historic Site. Wow! WAY better than the last time we visited it. The kids LOVED it and so did I!!! We learned tons!
Photobucket

Maybe he's digging for some ammo? I don't know. I'm confused. Ha!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Savannah would've panned for gold all day. New people would come and she'd help find some "gold" for them, over and over and over again.
Photobucket

Then we got to pick up Brett from the airport and head back to the condo to get plenty of rest for our next day. The kids were pumped to go to.......
Photobucket

We spent WAY TOO MUCH time just playing with legos. Okay, so the kids didn't think so, but I kinda did.
Photobucket

Photobucket

And Jarom is sometimes getting a little "too cool" for pictures these days. Bummer.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Grant thought he had died and gone to heaven when he looked over and saw Bob the Builder!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Savannah would've been happy to spend her whole day browsing the giftshops...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yay for Legoland! My favorite part of the trip came next....but sometimes my camera stays in it's bag. And the night that we left Legoland, my camera stayed put away. As we drove away from the amusement park that night, we told the kids that we had a surprise for them. There were squeals of excitement, questions, and endless guesses. We drove for about 30 minutes and pulled up in front of a beautiful building of condos right on the beach in the breathtaking La Jolla, turned off the car, and told the kids to hop out. As we walked toward the entrance, the grumbling started, "It better not be adults. There better be kids here. Nice surprise. This is lame!" And then I saw her (the kid's surprise) hiding behind a bush. She popped out and instantly all 4 kids starting running and yelling, "JULIE!!!!!!!" Savannah threw her tiny body right onto Julie, jumping straight into her arms. The rest of the kids hugging onto any part of her they could get a hold of. Savannah did not leave her side for the rest of the night. (A little about Julie). Julie was vacationing with her family in California, instead of at school in Utah. Spending the evening with her and her family and pulling off our little surprise was definitely the highlight of the trip for me! Prying Savannah away from Julie that night was heartbreaking. On our drive back to Carlsbad that night, Savannah started planning all of the fun things they were going to do the next time they were together.

The next morning, the littles enjoyed their breakfast of waffles with whipped cream and strawberries and oj on the balcony....
Photobucket

Photobucket

Then we spent a few hours walking around downtown Carlsbad, checking out some shops, and a cute little chocolate shop. But then the kids were begging to be back at the beach. So back to the beach we went.... It was a lot colder that day.
Photobucket

But the cold won't keep Savannah from getting in the water....
Photobucket

The big tough boys, on the other hand, well....it took them awhile :)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

But they finally did it! Not me, though! No way! Much, much too cold for me!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Savannah was a little shocked and super disappointed when a big wave snuck up behind her and tore down her creation. Grant thought it was pretty awesome!
Photobucket

But then he was COLD!!!
Photobucket

Photobucket

We talked him into getting back in the water, though...and he was fine!
Photobucket

Photobucket

For a few minutes, anyways...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Brett helped Savannah catch some waves on the boogie board...
Photobucket

Photobucket

And then he became an even bigger hero for her when he found the PERFECT shell!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Bye beach! We headed across the street to the condo, got cleaned up, and played some board games, which the kids were SO excited about. I mean, look at those faces! Excitement is written ALL over them!
Photobucket

Photobucket

We decided to take a "scenic detour" on the way home and go through Julian, CA to attend their Apple Festival. We looked at maps on our phones and it looked like the trip would take about the same amount of time....like 20-30 minutes longer to go through Julian. Fun! We were excited to pick our own apples and try all of the different apple treats. Oh. My. Windy. Windy. Windy. Roads. And we have a child who gets very carsick. We did have to pull over so he could barf on the side of the road. Darn. Not fun! We did finally get there, ate some delicious lunch, found a cute orchard to pick apples at, stopped at a darling bakery with endless options of apple treats, and then headed home. Our detour added about 2 hours to our trip. Was it worth it? I'm still not sure about that....but I think I'd pass next time.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And now I have a sister that lives in Cali....maybe it's time for another trip! I'm thinking maybe when "Radiator Springs" opens up at California Adventure. Not right when it opens, but maybe a few months after. Grant has never been to Disneyland and the only things on his Christmas list this year: Cars 2 movie, a Mickey Mouse toy, and a Lightning McQueen bike or scooter. Think he'd love it? Yah! I can't wait!

10 comments:

Nicole 11:48 PM  

Holly can you please email me where you stayed? I grew up spending the summers in my parents time share (Carlsbad Inn) and have been trying to find a place over there. I would so appreciate it :) You can email me at nkasting@cox.net. I never have luck finding places. Thanks. Nicole.

Sheri 5:33 AM  

Your pics are awesome! What a great looking family - you little girl is so stinking cute - I love the way you dress her. New Years Blessings to you and your family.

Cassie and Lou 7:02 AM  

Holly, I have no idea how I stumbled on your blog, but I have been hooked! Your family is so stinkin cute...I mean, what a great lookin crew you have! I will have to second what Sheri said about your daughters outfits...so adorable!

I am curious though, what kind of camera do you use during your family times (like this vacation). My husband and i are looking at getting a new DSLR and are looking for input from everyone!

Thanks for blogging! Keep up the great work. Happy New Year!

cassandra.dimauro@gmail.com

Brad and Rebecca 9:19 AM  

I am with Nicole. My family and I have wanted to take a vacation to Cali, but we are from the east and don't know where to stay. I am always a bit grossed out by cheap hotels. Is this place you stayed available to others? I am ready to book it! :) Thanks!!

Becky19byu@msn.com

Amanda 11:18 AM  

I have to admit... I'm just a little bit jealous!

Tressa 11:47 AM  

Ooo ooo! That is meeeeee! Yes, come visit me in California. Maybe by then I can talk Eric into going to Disneyland. :)

Brittney Hale 11:47 PM  

How funny we vacationed in the San Diego at the same time- sadly the weather was chilly but looks like u still got a day of sunshine. Darling family!!

Holly 9:24 AM  

Okay, so I looked and looked and looked again for the listing of the place that we stayed and it's not on the website anymore. I'm so bummed! But when we go on vacation, we always rent something off of www.vrbo.com (stands for vacation rental by owner). We LOVE that it normally ends up costing about the same to rent an apartment or house as it costs for a hotel room. And then we have more beds for the kids, privacy for us (our room), a kitchen to cook meals in (which saves us more money), etc. LOVE it!

Leilani 2:47 PM  

You really do have the most gorgeous kids! Savannah is such a BEAUTY! Happy New Year to your family! (Well.. from tomorrow night anyway!)

Nettie 5:10 PM  

Okay, you're an amazing photographer. The newborn picture's are indicators of a talent that is unmatched. The picture's you take with your children all dolled up and posed in quaint settings with the sun just right, are unspeakably beautiful. They are exquisite art, really. BUT....the picture's you take on vacations....THOSE ARE THE BEST EVER!!!! I could talk about them for eternity and not tire of it. In fact, you'd tire before me! And the picture of Grant with his little hand down his britches...that's the best picture you have ever taken in your entire life!!!!

Blog Patrol

About This Blog

Arizona newborn photographer, phoenix area newborn photographer, phoenix newborn photographer, mesa newborn photographer, queen creek newborn photographer, gilbert newborn photographer, custom newborn photographer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP