Hi! I'm Holly Brimhall, a newborn photographer in Gilbert, AZ. I am the mother of 4 and a lover of ALL things baby. This blog is where I share the life of my family and favorite pictures of my newborn photography sessions.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Questions about equipment...


I've received quite a few e-mails over the past few days asking about my equipment, so I figured in order to save myself a bit of time I'd just post it here for all of those inquiring minds.

I am a Canon girl.

Always have been. Probably always will be.

Why? Well, my little sister, Mindy, got the digital rebel when it first came out. I was jealous. Yep. SUPER jealous and couldn't wait to get one. About 5 months later I got one! I decided to just get what she got so that I could ask her questions and have her help me out. Eventually I upgraded...a few times.

What is in my camera bag?
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 20D
24-70mm 2.8 L lens
35mm 1.4 L lens
85mm 1.2 L lens
70-200mm 2.8 IS L lens
45mm 2.8 tilt-shift lens (I need to play with this one more...definitely have NOT mastered it)
100mm 2.8 lens (should get this one out more too....)

Which lens do I use the most? Well, that's a good question. It depends! I USED to use the 24-70 the majority of the time, but I've been trying to change lenses more often...using my primes and my fabulous 70-200. For the lake pictures? I had my 70-200 on the whole time. I loved that I could zoom all of the way in and catch the kids cute expressions. The pictures at the ranch? I kept my 85 on the whole time (I think). I also used that lens on the pictures of the kids on their first day of school. That lens is a bit slow to focus...but man, oh man...it's AMAZING!

Do I ALWAYS shoot in manual mode? YEP! Always.

My light source for my studio? I'll give you one guess. It's free. The sun. Natural light all the way. Although, I'm thinking when I get a bigger studio space (hopefully some time in the next year or so), I'll add studio lights (and still do some natural light) and start taking bigger babies and kids as clients...in addition to my favorite little newborns!

Hopefully that answers some questions for you. If I missed one...let me know, and I'll try to answer it!

8 comments:

Kyla Makay 6:55 AM  

Manual is the best! The hardest- but the best. I learned on Manual.

I am loyal to Nikon though... haha.


-makay

Nicole 9:44 AM  

MAN! those lake pictures rock!
I'm really curious about your T/S lens.....

Michelle 9:45 AM  

What lens do you prefer for your newborn photos?

Heather O'Steen Photography 2:06 PM  

Asking the same thing - which do you use most when doing newborns?

cara 2:41 PM  

Thank you so much for filling us in on your equipment!
Just curious if you plan on doing a picture life workshop online.

Robin 8:15 PM  

Thanks for sharing this info. I didn't ask, but I HAVE wondered! Your photos are always so good, and I thought "you must have a really nice camera"! :)

Lisa 9:28 PM  

Ok since you are answering..I have checked your blog here and there and have always wanted to comment but thought you might think I was weird cuz I don't know you. I really don't know how I found your blog but I think you are amazing at photography! I love following photograhers and how they edit and process their pictures. So here's my question..do you use actions or do you camera raw and then photoshop? I find it really hard to get a consistant "look" and I am trying to find it. I have played around in photoshop but it is dang hard! Any suggestions on learning photoshop? BTW, your family is adorable! Thanks Holly!!

Jessi 12:11 PM  

Do you still shoot only manual when running around with kids? I've been doing quite a few shoots with toddlers, and wondering how you catch them on manual. I know some people leave it on AV, so I was just wondering! Thanks!

Blog Patrol

About This Blog

Arizona newborn photographer, phoenix area newborn photographer, phoenix newborn photographer, mesa newborn photographer, queen creek newborn photographer, gilbert newborn photographer, custom newborn photographer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP