Hi! I'm Holly Brimhall, a newborn photographer in Gilbert, AZ. I am the mother of 4 and a lover of ALL things baby. This blog is where I share the life of my family and favorite pictures of my newborn photography sessions.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Almost professionals....


Okay, well that might be pushing it a little! But we watched a YouTube video or two and decided we would attempt a few projects on our own and save some money. There's something about doing a project on your own that makes you feel really good about yourself...especially when it turns out pretty much just like you'd hoped!

Over the last few weeks, my dad and Brett put up a few walls, hung some drywall, put in some doors, and added TONS of shelving - which makes me happy. Yay for storage! And yay for a big new pantry! And yay for my amazing parents who drive 3 hours to come and help us work on the house for a day and a half and then drive 3 hours home...just to turn around and come right back the next weekend to help again!

I did remember to take my camera to the house yesterday and took a few pictures, but I'm wishing I would've taken more. I often take my camera to the house...but feel like a weirdee pulling out my big ole camera with all of the workers around, so it always ends up staying tucked away in the car. But on Sundays, when there is nobody there, I'm fine to snap away. I'm just mad at myself that I didn't take more pictures than I did.

I did, however, take some pictures of what Brett and I have been working on. Nothing better than heading over to the house for date night - hearing the whir of the miter saw and the snap of the nail gun. Well, okay...I can think of some better date nights...but it actually has been kind of fun...kind of.

Here is the new piano room. Behind the wall is a huge-mongous pantry with loads and loads of shelving and room for our upright freezer. No more running downstairs to get food out of the freezer. Yay, hooray!

Photobucket

Are you so proud of mine and Brett's handiwork? Okay, so it's not painted yet. But just imagine the room above, from the chair rail down, painted in a creamy Swiss Coffee paint. It will be divine! With dark wood floors and a beautiful chandelier hanging over my grand piano. Can't wait!

Next we decided to tackle trimming out the island. Yikes! I know! I was kinda freaking out... wondering if we were up for the job. I must admit, we do pretty good work. It does help that I'm a bit of a perfectionist. It doesn't help our marriage (wink, wink), but it's helpful in other areas (right?).

Photobucket
It's going to look even more lovely when they add the antiquing glaze to it. Can't wait!
Photobucket

Photobucket
And since we were on such a roll, we decided, "Heck! Why not add some beadboard to the ceiling in the entry and trim it out with some big crown molding?" (I think it's gonna look awesome when it gets caulked and painted). The chandelier I have picked out for this spot makes me all giddy and happy inside.
Photobucket

16 comments:

Anonymous 4:58 PM  

Can I ask what color of paint this is on your cabinets? I love it!

Alexandra Frankel 5:46 PM  

WOW! The kitchen LOOKS 1000% better already!! Makes me want to paint my kitchen now!!

Lorie 6:30 PM  

It all looks amazing! I can't wait to see the side by side before and afters. Such a great transformation!

MegJill 6:56 PM  

Don't think I've ever left a comment, and I don't even remember how I found your blog, but I just have to say how fun it is seeing your new house get updated! The kitchen cabinets are going to be so beautiful and the island looks a thousand times better! I also love that you added a pantry and storage out of the garage.
What a beautiful home you will have!

ellen 7:44 PM  

Wow!

Mindy 9:23 PM  

AMAZING! I am excited to see the before and after pictures side by side too. Go you for doing so much yourselves. It is really looking beautiful!

Dana Day 6:29 AM  

Holly, I found your blog through my friend Cassy Tenney. I think your photography is so beautiful. Lately however I have been super impressed by your remodel of your new house. Having just moved myself (from UT to TX). I really want to redo my kitchen cabinets (it has new granite already.) In looking at your beautiful cabinets that you just painted did you do this yourself? If so would you mind (when you have time giving me some tips or at least a website.) I cannot even believe those are the same cabinets you had in the place. WOW! The whole house is going to be beautiful when you are finished! Thanks so much, Dana Day. (PS- you can e mail me at megan_day@juno.com)

Rissa 12:17 PM  

It looks so much better already. Its like the walls are saying finaly there is hope that I will be a beautiful home.

Tressa 4:41 PM  

It is looking awesome Holl! I am super impressed with all that you guys have taken on!
One of these days we'll have to take the big ol drive down to AZ to visit and see your new house. :)
Love you tons!

J. Paige 5:09 PM  

wow- wanna update my house next?!!

Robin 12:23 PM  

VERY impressive! You DO have great parents to do that for you! I can't believe how much you have accomplished in such a short time!
It looks amazing already and you have the best ideas!

deb duty 2:05 PM  

Thanks for posting the before pics and the updates. I'm looking forward to seeing all the great after pics.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven 8:37 PM  

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE what you are doing with the kitchen! So light and photographable!

Ali 11:09 AM  

Oooh, I love the bead board on the cieling! Great idea!

Lisa 12:10 PM  

It's so fun to see a good before and after and I think this one will be amazing! I would also love to know what color white is on your cabinets in the kitchen and who did the work for you? We are in the market!

Unknown 4:59 AM  

Did the painter sand your cabinets down first? Looks great. Do you have the finished kitchen on your blog yet?

Blog Patrol

About This Blog

Arizona newborn photographer, phoenix area newborn photographer, phoenix newborn photographer, mesa newborn photographer, queen creek newborn photographer, gilbert newborn photographer, custom newborn photographer

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP